A visit to the greenhouses of Friðheimar and a very yummy tomato soup

A few weeks ago the boyfriend and I, along with my sisters and brother (not) in law, visited Friðheimar just outside of Reykholt in south Iceland. Friðheimar is a vegetable farm where their main product is tomatoes. In fact, I was told during our visit, that Friðheimar holds about 18% of the whole local tomato market in Iceland.

They put emphasis on doing things in agreement with nature using green energy and organic pesticides which I personally think is pretty cool. They have recently opened up their greenhouses to visitors and now offer yummy lunches every day between 12:00 and 16:00 where the tomatoes, naturally, play a key role.

We were there on a Sunday and although it was not very busy there were a few people there enjoying their lunch offerings. We had the tomato soup, their specialty, and a variety of home made bread and really fresh cucumber salsa. It was all delicious and the fact we were sitting inside a warm and bright greenhouse made the experience extra special and enjoyable.

Apart from the soup, that was really good, I also enjoyed that the staff at Friðheimar greeted us and told us a little bit about the greenhouses before we sat down to eat. They weren’t expecting us so it’s not like we were getting a special treatment and I assume everyone gets the same tour. It was informative and it was a cool extra to an already great lunch.

Friðheimar is the perfect lunch stop if you’re doing the Golden Circle and you want to explore a bit more of the area around it. Definitely worth the visit.

20141005_150357 copy 20141005_150213 copy 20141005_145811 copy 20141005_144309 copy 20141005_144706 copy 20141005_141317 copy 20141005_141339 copy 20141005_144211 copy 20141005_144627 copy

14 thoughts on “A visit to the greenhouses of Friðheimar and a very yummy tomato soup”

1. Ade says:

Our Golden Circle tour stopped here too, and it was a fascinating place. The owner gave a quick talk telling us all about the operation, which I was really interested in as a grow tomatoes at home. And yes we all had soup aswell 🙂 Fresh basil on the table to cut into your bowl was a really good idea, i’ll be doing that at home from now on!

yeah, loved the fresh basil too 🙂

2. Linda says:

Your photos are lovely, and the tomato soup looks so heartwarming!

Thank you 🙂 It’s pretty amazing what mobiles can produce these days.

3. Leanne Johnson says:

Thank you so much for this recommendation – I *love* organic farming and produce, and I love green energy. Plus I’m vegetarian, so this place is a definite must-see 🙂 Can’t wait!

4. vikas says:

We are vegans.
    No meat,sea foods.
    NO EGGS
    But we consume dairy products.
    Are the bread,and tomato soup free of meat,sea foods and eggs??

I suggest you contact Friðheimar greenhouse directly for this: http://www.fridheimar.is

2. ju says:

then you aren’t vegan

5. Jackie Fox says:

We came across your blog before our family trip to Iceland, and I must say, we, too, were obsessed with finding this place. It was all that you wrote about and a highlight of our trip because of the friendly staff and amazing soup (and tomato ice cream). Thank you for sharing this with the rest of us!

1. mm Auður - I Heart Reykjavík says:

Glad you enjoyed it – wouldn’t mind some yummy tomato soup right now 🙂

6. HD says:

Do we need to reserve a spot in advance before visiting? Lunch can be really expensive in Iceland (What i have heard!) How expensive is the lunch at this location

1. mm Ásta - I Heart Reykjavík says:

Hi there,

According to their website, they recommend that you book in advance. I was there in November and it was quite busy at lunchtime, we didn’t need to wait long for a table though. Of course I can’t remember how much we paid for lunch, but it was not expensive, under 2000 ISK per person. I’m a local, and I love going there, I recommend it.

7. Daniela says:

Hi we are off to Iceland at the end of the week and l am dying to visit this place after having read so much about it. We are going to do the Golden Circle (self drive).

You mention stopping here for lunch while doing the Golden Circle. Is this place in between sights?

1. mm Ásta - I Heart Reykjavík says:

Hi Daniela,

Sort of, you could visit Þingvellir. Gullfoss and Geysir in the morning, and then continue onwards to Friðheimar for a late lunch. And then head to the Secret Lagoon for a soak in the hot water on your way back to town or down to the South Coast. If you need something to tide you over to lunch, the ice cream at Efsti Dalur farm is excellent (between Laugarvatn and Geysir) is excellent – and the calves super cute!