Learn Icelandic #07: A visit to Snæfellsnes

The boyfriend and I just spent a weekend away in West Iceland, more specifically in Snæfellsnes and Dalir. During our trip we posted a few photos on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter and a couple of people commented on that it was impossible to pronounce the names of the places we were visited. We can’t have your tongues all twisted, now can we?

The word covered in this episode: Snæfellsnes, Hótel Búðir, Djúpalónssandur, Vatnshellir, Bjarnarhöfn and Stykkishólmur.

Enjoy!

6 thoughts on “Learn Icelandic #07: A visit to Snæfellsnes”

1. Laura says:

Thanks so much for the pronounciation guides! It’s great to learn how the names are really pronounced instead of the fractured way I said them on my visit in September, lol. Would be fun to know what the names mean too
    , for the ones that do, since I know a lot of Icelandic places are literal deacriptions too.
    Takk!

2. Wilson says:

Excellent timing! I just listened to this in my hotel room in Stykkishólmur! Much appreciated!

3. Gwen says:

I wasn’t too far off on some of the pronunciations, but Vatnshellir was a shock!

4. danielle says:

The snæfellsnes peninsula was the day trip that got cancelled for us on Wednesday, I was really looking forward to it as I had never been to that part in any previous trip. Guess it will have to be another trip 🙂 I’m almost tempted to come on back for a few days by myself and just do the camera thing.

I watched someone’s video about their ring road trip & they pronounced it “Snaffle sneeze” – I think they got all their names wrong but said them so confidently 🙂 – we tended to settle on ‘snuffleupagus’

There is a lot of rolling Rs in Icelandic – I can imagine foreign people who cannot roll their Rs would have real trouble!

5. Maryanne in SC says:

Ah, this is GREAT! I’ve been watching “LAVA FIELD” on Netflix and trying to develop an ear for Icelandic. These lessons will be invaluable. Thank you, Audur, and see you in late October.

Gangi þér vel (good luck) 🙂