9 great options for vegetarians in Reykjavík

I should probably start this post with a disclaimer: I’m not a vegetarian so I am in no way an authority on this matter. I like vegetarian food and could probably do without meat 90% of the time but I don’t. I also haven’t visited all these places so I can’t comment on the quality, only that they exist.

Now with that out of the way here are a few places vegetarians that visit Reykjavík should consider.

Gló

I love Gló. Their food is delicious and it’s actually one of the places I tell people to try on my walking tour. Although they also offer meat dishes their main focus is vegetarian, raw food and gluten free options. I also like the fact that it’s not super expensive.

Garðurinn

I’ve heard many people speak fondly of Garðurinn which apparently offers both good food and great prices. They seem to not have a home online so I couldn’t really check whether the latter is right but it looks cute from the outside.

Krúska

I don’t know much about Krúska other than the food I’ve had there was pretty good and they offer vegetarian dishes of the day every day. They are located close to Laugardalur, not far from the Laugardalslaug swimming pool.

C is for cookie

C is for Cookie is one of those places people keep recommending to me but I never seem to find the right time to visit. It’s located in Týsgata, just off Skólavörðustígur, and rumor has it (I couldn’t find any info about this anywhere) that they always offer vegan soup at lunch. Don’t come hating on me if you discover this is incorrect though.

Cafe Babalú

I’ve written about Babalú before but although they are not 100% vegetarian or vegan they offer both including a vegetarian chili (I love a good chili) and a vegan carrot cake that is so yummy that I never would have expected that it was anything else than a normal carrot cake.

Litli Bóndabærinn

Litli Bóndabærinn is a cute little organic café in Laugavegur that offers vegetarian sausage rolls and gluten free brownies to name a few. I think they don’t cater especially to vegetarians but are worth mentioning for the things they do offer.

Búllan

Although Búllan is all but vegetarian they also get a honorary mention because of all the nice things I’ve heard about their vegetarian Portobello burgers. A vegetarian friend of mine says they are top notch and I don’t think she would  lie to me

11 thoughts on “9 great options for vegetarians in Reykjavík”

1. Erin says:

I highly, highly recommend Garðurinn and Cafe Babalú for vegans, and will need to check out Glo during my next visit. C is for Cookie was a little disappointing to be honest, I didn’t find a vegan option when I went. Sushibarinn on the Laugavegur also has a great vegan platter for the sushi loving vegetarian and vegans 🙂

2. Kay Bloxom says:

Hi Aude – thanks for the tips. That’s really helpful for my visit later in the year. Cheers.

3. Julia says:

Hi Audur, always helpful to hear about places to eat in Reykjavik, I’m not a vegetarian either but have plenty of people booking with me that are. I’ll pass on your suggestions!

4. Sarada Crowe says:

Hello there,

Just thought I would mention that Gardurrin does have a website although it’s a little hard to find online

I am a vegetarian coming to Iceland for the first time shortly and looking forward very much to seeing the country, the city and the cafe!

5. daniel carlos nunez reynoso says:

seria interesante que publicaran algunas recetas islandesas, desde luego las tradicionales a base de pescado y de carne de borrego (costillas asadas). tuve la oportunidad de probar algunas en una visita
    agradezco de antemano la atencion

atte. daniel

6. Caitlin says:

Just a heads up, It appears as if Grænn kostur is closed permanently 🙁

Yes – I’ve been meaning to update this – it’s on my todo list and hopefully I’ll get to it soon

7. Alys DG says:

Hi, do you know any restaurants that will be opened very early (7Ham) and that has vegan options? thanks:)

I would think you can find some vegan options at Sandholt for example. Café Vinyl is all vegan but it doesn’t open till 9.

8. TriNurse says:

Hello. Thank you for all the info.
    Do the restaurants and cafe’s commonly note that items are vegan, on the menu? Is the word vegan well known when inquiring about food items? Or is it better to ask if the item is free from animal products, dairy and eggs? I live in a major US city and veganism is simple here, but I have heard from friends it has been challenging in Iceland.

Yes, people know the word vegan. And most menus will have it marked.